Knight

Post 26 Nov 2011, 12:40

could you show a pic?
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Post 30 Nov 2011, 14:37

The texture (terrain) transitions will stop working as soon as you save the map with an editor OTHER than Krom's. His editor adds some additional data to the file to describe the transitions, but if you edit it with the Remake or another map editor you'll lose that.
So in future only edit the map with Krom's editor until we have transitions in the KaM Remake editor.
Thanks for the info. Luckily I don't have other work with transitions. I probably won't make another update until the next demo unless there are still bugs in it, so If you think, you can add my map to KaM Remake.
could you show a pic?
I've updated it.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 02 Dec 2011, 03:41

Some feedback:
- You have placed a lot of trees on coal, which is very frustrating because it's hard to build mines. Some of the trees are the kind that cannot be cut down, so I think you should definately remove those. In KaM you very rarely see trees on coal. I think some are okay, but there are a lot on this map.
- In the original KaM maps they usually use the "bumpy" sand tile when it is near dirt and iron hills. Click here for an example. I think you should make the corners of the map (near the dirt/iron) use that kind of sand and leave the normal kind in the middle area (when it's near grass) I think that would make the map feel more "KaM" and be more interesting
- Because diagonal roads are not allowed now, player 4 cannot build out the top of their base to the iron. (screenshot) Just delete a tiny bit of stone and the road will work.
- The stonemasons spend a long time walking all the way around the hill to mine stone at the bottom. I think you could improve this by repositioning some of the stonemasons. (screenshot) If you do it more like that then the stonemason won't walk all the way around the hill. (in the game we played that player was constantly running out of stone even though he didn't build a long road to the iron or anything. His stonemasons wasted so much time walking around the hill)

I really like this map, I think we'll have some interesting games on it. I hope you can fix these things in time for the next release. (next week)
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 03 Dec 2011, 10:46

I've corrected these things. Thanks.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 03 Dec 2011, 14:43

Great, I've got the corrected version. I think you could spend more time on making the map look nicer, there are some large grassy areas that are not very interesting (just grass with some trees) Try opening up some of the KaM maps, or The Dark Lord's map Warfare in the Wilderness and look at the little embellishments there, such as a group of flowers or mushrooms, using specific grass tiles rather than just the random mix. There is one with 4 flowers, one with rocks (looks good near mountains) and ones with cracks. If you look at original KaM maps you'll see that these are used very specifically to make the map look really polished, and make sure there are no grassy areas that look bland or dull.
If this is your first map I'm very impressed by the way, most people's first maps don't turn out very well...

I just finished a 4vs4 on this map, it worked quite well. I managed to place a tower in the pass down to the iron which meant the other player couldn't build down there. (because we played with peacetime) But that makes the map interesting, and peacetime isn't essential on this map because of the towers. I'm not suggesting you change it, it's nice to have a variety of maps.
Lewin.

EDIT: P.S. I'm writing the description file for your map, (I couldn't find one included) here's what I've made:
The road snakes through the valley past fertile lands and mineral rich mountains.
Made by kocsis1david.

Suggested teams:
1+2 vs 3+4 vs 5+6 vs 7+8 or
1+2+3+4 vs 5+6+7+8 or
1+2+7+8 vs 3+4+5+6
Is that okay? It kocsis1david the name you'd like me to use?
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 03 Dec 2011, 16:02

Warfare in the Wilderness looks nice, but I'm not as skillful mapmaker and it takes a lot of time. This is not my first map, I've made some before it, but they aren't really good. I want to work more on grasses, but I think this couldn't be ready for the next release.

For name I would use just David. I use kocsis1david for user names. But they're almost the same.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 03 Dec 2011, 23:58

Yes maps do take a long time when you put that much detail into them. I haven't made a map for years but I'm certainly no expert myself. Well if you manage any updates just let me know, the release probably won't be until Tuesday or Wednesday and it's easy to update a map at the last minute.
Okay I changed it to just David :)
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 06 Feb 2012, 20:41

Re: My new multiplayer mission

GreatWhiteBear said that the mission would be better with tower banned and he is right, so I've disabled it. http://dl.dropbox.com/u/28475953/KaM/Ro ... 0Valley.7z
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 10 Feb 2012, 16:13

Unfortunately you didn't do it right. You edited it as a single player mission in my editor, and so blocking towers only effects the "human" player. (location 1) The only way to do it is edit the script by hand with a script editor such as version 0.3_beta of my mission editor, then add the command.
If you like I can do this for you, and add center screens while I'm at it because I noticed those are missing.
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 10 Feb 2012, 16:50

I'm not familiar with mission script, so I would rather ask you to make it.
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 11 Feb 2012, 13:21

I'm not familiar with mission script, so I would rather ask you to make it.
Done, towers banned and screens centered :)
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 11 Feb 2012, 13:48

Thank You. BTW I'm working on a new map called Along the Frozen River for 3v3:
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 17 Feb 2012, 08:06

I moved to another forum section . Sorry
Last edited by Remake 2012 on 17 Feb 2012, 16:42, edited 1 time in total.
<<

kocsis1david

Crossbowman

Post 17 Feb 2012, 12:53

I think they could be more detailed. I played once on North Bridge, but it was frustrating that there wasn't enough place to build. I also had to place roads to equalize terrain because it was so hilly. Our team had almost no soldier when pt ended unlike the enemy.
<<

Remake 2012

Knight

KaM Skill Level: Average

Post 17 Feb 2012, 13:00

I think they could be more detailed. I played once on North Bridge, but it was frustrating that there wasn't enough place to build. I also had to place roads to equalize terrain because it was so hilly. Our team had almost no soldier when pt ended unlike the enemy.
Millions of times I changed the map, almost every 3-4 days went updates. Map "North Bridge" has already been corrected long ago :)

Return to “Map Design”