Map Database  •  FAQ  •  RSS  •  Login

People who use other peoples names

<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 20 Dec 2011, 21:05

Re: People who use other peoples names

The way to solve this and add more... is to join the Multiplayer Lobby with a "Player Account".
Wasn't that discussed already, and rejected?
Wouldn't it be better if:
Always when people choose a name for multiplayer, the KaM checks online (If players are offline, it will check when they go online).
º If that name is in use, KaM won't allow you to use it in the lobbies.
º If it is NOT in use, KaM will send a signal to the server saying that that name belongs to your COMPUTER IP, until you change it for a different one, or do not go online for a week (for example). While you have that name (even if you are offline, it will know, because you haven't changed it and you have been online that week) no one will be able to use it.

Is it possible to do THIS??
if you don't understand a part of it ask and i can explain better.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Dec 2011, 21:16

So if I manage to start the game and change my name to caykroyd before you do, you won't be able to use it. Ha!
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 20 Dec 2011, 21:42

So if I manage to start the game and change my name to caykroyd before you do, you won't be able to use it. Ha!
Nope! you didn't understand! Read the quote below!
º If it is NOT in use, KaM will send a signal to the server saying that that name belongs to your COMPUTER IP, until you change it for a different one, or do not go online for a week (for example). While you have that name (even if you are offline, it will know, because you haven't changed it and you have been online that week) no one will be able to use it.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 20 Dec 2011, 21:47

Well of course I read it, but I guess I still don't understand it.

If the remake would bind names to IP addresses, I could name myself caykroyd and then you won't be able to, right? (Taken into consideration that you haven't taken the name caykroyd already.)
Doesn't that confirm what I wrote? I use caykroyd, so it is in use, so YOU can't use it.
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 20 Dec 2011, 23:21

Well of course I read it, but I guess I still don't understand it.

If the remake would bind names to IP addresses, I could name myself caykroyd and then you won't be able to, right? (Taken into consideration that you haven't taken the name caykroyd already.)
Doesn't that confirm what I wrote? I use caykroyd, so it is in use, so YOU can't use it.
Ah, in that case, yes... You wont be able to use it unless I don't enter the game online for a week (a week in my example, it could be more than that)
So you should rush and reserve your name... then be sure you're not inactive for toooo long or someone else could get it.

Isn't that the same as an account making system?? who gets the name first keeps it?
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 20 Dec 2011, 23:31

Well the idea is not so bad but at least one exception should be made: 'NoName'! :P

The biggest problem is: what happens when a new version is released? It seems your name is automatically switched to NoName when you install a new version, which means your name is free for anyone to use...

I think we should just hope our KaM community will stay mature enough to avoid name-stealing (I think this is (or was, I haven't met a large amount of players yet) one of the nicest game communities).
<<

caykroyd

Crossbowman

Post 20 Dec 2011, 23:35

Well the idea is not so bad but at least one exception should be made: 'NoName'! :P

The biggest problem is: what happens when a new version is released? It seems your name is automatically switched to NoName when you install a new version, which means your name is free for anyone to use...

I think we should just hope our KaM community will stay mature enough to avoid name-stealing (I think this is (or was, I haven't met a large amount of players yet) one of the nicest game communities).
and when/if it grows?? how to maintain control then?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 20 Dec 2011, 23:47

The way to solve this and add more... is to join the Multiplayer Lobby with a "Player Account".
I quite like this idea of having registered and unregistered players, which means you can put a claim to your nickname by making an account but you can still play without an account. However, I don't fancy being the one to write the security system and pay for the servers, and then be hacked like Sony and have everyone's passwords (which they've probably used on other site) and email addresses posted online somewhere...
Name faking isn't a big issue yet, I think this is only the second report I've heard of it and the guy stopped doing it. If it becomes a problem when the community grows we can think about it.
Wouldn't it be better if:
Always when people choose a name for multiplayer, the KaM checks online (If players are offline, it will check when they go online).
Most people's external IP addresses change every time your modem/router reconnects to the internet, so that wouldn't work. Also what if I'm on a laptop and I want to play at Uni too? (different IP address) Or from my friends computer at his house?
There is also the problem The Dark Lord mentioned.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 21 Dec 2011, 09:12

I still prefer the ID, which whould be also needed for a ranking system. I had thought about that, too, but not come to a final decision. But probably an ELO rating system like in chess would be best.

But if the ID is not realized, you could still use a hard-coded database which you deliver with the remake. This means, you don't have an open web server waiting for request (and being prone for attacks) but rather a local file like the geoip-db. You just provide Lewin (or whoever manages this - must be a trustworthy person) with the md5-sum of your password and your nickname, and this is then written into the database. (we could also develop a closed tool that would do this and automatically submit it online) At game start, all players synchronize the database so a player, who hacked the database, will be identified.

If too many players would appear (which is unlikey in my opinion), then you could do the same that Sven Coop-Mod did: register accounts only for donating people.

Then there remains only the question of the distribution of the database. You could either provide it with each update - that takes forever for a new account to be 'safe'. Or we could provide the update from the master server. The database would be probably a 3-10kb file, so this would not exceed all traffic limit. You could even download it from the servers, which synchronize with the masterserver themself if you want to lower the traffic.
<<

Krom

Knights Province Developer

KaM Skill Level: Fair

Post 21 Dec 2011, 09:31

I like the ID idea (leaderboards and everything), but it is rather far-stretched for current state of Remake. Maybe if we had 500 players .. ;)
Knights Province at: http://www.knightsprovince.com
KaM Remake at: http://www.kamremake.com
Original MBWR/WR2/AFC/FVR tools at: http://krom.reveur.de
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 21 Dec 2011, 11:47

If there is ever going to be an account system, I would hate to see rankings implemented. Rankings make people care too much.
I've played C&C 3 in the past and sometimes it took about 30 minutes to set up a game, because people were always crying about his ally being too weak or others being too strong, while a game itself only takes about 10 minutes... Also, you see people disconnecting to prevent a bad score and things like that... I'd hate to see that happening with the remake. :(
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 21 Dec 2011, 11:59

If there is ever going to be an account system, I would hate to see rankings implemented. Rankings make people care too much.
I've played C&C 3 in the past and sometimes it took about 30 minutes to set up a game, because people were always crying about his ally being too weak or others being too strong, while a game itself only takes about 10 minutes... Also, you see people disconnecting to prevent a bad score and things like that... I'd hate to see that happening with the remake. :(
Having read this I agree 100%. Especially in RTS games where you have allies etc. I can see this becoming a problem.
Thank you for bringing this up, I hadn't thought of it.
<<

Siegfried

Knight

Post 21 Dec 2011, 12:10

Yes, I also agree, this is a very good point.

But on the other hand, a ranking prevents that a total noob is owned by a very good player. Maybe a voluntary three-step-classification (casual - experienced - expert) would be nice.

People don't complain without reason. If only casual gamers are to play agains experts - where is the sense in this game?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

Post 21 Dec 2011, 12:24

But on the other hand, a ranking prevents that a total noob is owned by a very good player. Maybe a voluntary three-step-classification (casual - experienced - expert) would be nice.
Something like that would be better in my opinion. Then people could organise games with experienced players on all teams. There could be a little icon for each player in the lobby: 1 sword = noob, 2 swords = experienced, 3 swords = expert. Obviously people could still pretend to be a different experience level, but it would hardly gain anything for them.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

Post 21 Dec 2011, 12:29

Hmm, still not sure.
At first I thought it was a good idea, but I can totally imagine a 3v3 game with 2 inexperienced players on each team and 1 expert on each team, and then it turns out the two inexperienced players on the other team aren't inexperienced at all. I can already sense the frustration, anger, shouting and name-calling coming up.
But still, that's much better than rankings. :)

Return to “General / Questions”