Wish Star

<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 20 Feb 2012, 13:03

Wish Star

New map:
http://ifile.it/7bmf8gc
I updated it (game crashed due to trees on the left edge of the map)

Is the left 80 tiles of the western province.
Since progress is slow I decided to make a playable 2vs2 or 1vs1 version.
I also included a Deathmatch version (more starting resources).

I am not certain, but I guess there is one object for at least every 8 walkable tiles.
Last edited by GreatWhiteBear on 22 Feb 2012, 15:03, edited 1 time in total.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Feb 2012, 14:56

Re: Wish Star

Good map, but (I hope you don't mind me saying this) object placement is too random in my opinion.
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 20 Feb 2012, 15:23

Yes it is what would you suggest to change?
<<

Lewin

KaM Remake Developer

KaM Skill Level: Skilled

Yahoo Messenger: lewinlewinhodgman

Post 20 Feb 2012, 21:01

The forests don't look very good in my opinion... Too many trees of the same type in a small area. The two pine/fir forests at the top are good, but the others are not so good. Try putting some dead trees through the forest to make it more varied. At some places you have 4 of the same tree within a very small area, which doesn't look great in my opinion.

I think The Dark Lord meant you should spend more time considering where to place objects rather than doing it randomly. e.g. make some patches of mushrooms or flowers in the one area.
Overall though it's a really nice map, good to see some maps with unusual dimensions.
<<

The Dark Lord

King Karolus Servant

KaM Skill Level: Veteran

Post 20 Feb 2012, 21:10

Yes, Lewin is right.
Look at the top of your map. I can almost imagine you selecting the mushroom (the red/white one) and going like 'oh here one, and there, and here another one, and there, oh here's no object yet, great place for another mushroom, and here, and one more over there'. My advice would be to look at an area and think 'hmm, what would look good here...' and then place objects. This will take more time but I think it's worth it. More objects does not necessarily mean it looks better.
Also, I completely dislike that large fir tree that doesn't actually look like a fir tree. But I guess that's something personal!
<<

GreatWhiteBear

Knight

Post 20 Feb 2012, 23:29

The forests don't look very good in my opinion... Too many trees of the same type in a small area. At some places you have 4 of the same tree within a very small area, which doesn't look great in my opinion.
I made the forest look denser on certain places by elevating the first trees. On certain spots I placed 4 of the same trees in a small spot so it would be a good place to put like one scout behind to perform a sneak attack.
The two pine/fir forests at the top are good, but the others are not so good. Try putting some dead trees through the forest to make it more varied.
I am not going to place dead trees on a perfectly fertile soil...
I think The Dark Lord meant you should spend more time considering where to place objects rather than doing it randomly. e.g. make some patches of mushrooms or flowers in the one area.
Overall though it's a really nice map, good to see some maps with unusual dimensions.
1. I don't use flowers, don't like them.
2. I looked over my map several times and had a good feeling about it.
3. I would have sworn that I placed more mushrooms at the top. Like those 3 brown ones, I placed them in groups. I guess I screwed up one save file or forgot to save once. (I saved the map at least over a hundred times in the process.)

EDIT: I see it now. I forgot to save 2 days ago while placing the thin tree stumps and extra mushrooms. Also, I sometimes misplaced stones and tried to delete them with the right mouse button, which isn't possible in the editor, so sometimes two stones are next to each other while either neither or one of them should be there.

Return to “Map Design”